940 Green Street, Danville, VA
- A. B. Carrington , Jr. House
137 Holbrook Avenue, Danville, VA
- Dance House
Ornamental terracotta panels enrich the facade of this two-and-a-half-story brick dwelling built in 1889 for Willis J. Dance. With its striking octagonal-ended projection capped by an ogee dome, the house bears an architectural family resemblance to the nearby W.F. Patton House at 926 Main Street. Built circa-1890, this Main Street mansion shares the Queen Anne-style form and footprint of its Holbrook Avenue cousin.
Until the mid 1980s this dwelling continued to be associated with the Donelson family, descendants of the Dance and Williamson families, who at this address helped establish Holbrook Avenue as one the city’s most fashionable thoroughfares. It was developed from land once part of the rear yard of Major and Mrs. Sutherlin’s antebellum mansion.
815 Main Street, Danville, VA
– Paxton - Grant House
Rambling dwellings of the 1890s were described frequently in their day as “comfortable houses.” This house built on Danville’s gracious Main Street is no exception. Its shingled gables, porches, projecting bays and dormers, influenced by the angular Queen Anne style, all contribute to the cozy feeling of hearth and home dear to the hearts of our late-Victorian ancestors. It was built nearly a century ago for Walter T. Paxton, a successful tobacconist, whose daughter Dabney Paxton Grant continued to live in the house until her death in the late 1970s. The land where the house is situated actually is a portion of a larger Main Street tract acquired in antebellum days by Mrs. Grant’s great-grandfather, John W. Paxton, Danville’s renowned silversmith and clockmaker of the early 19th century.
854 Main Street, Danville, VA
– W. H. Lipscomb House
In the heady days of Danville’s tobacco boom, business partners and devoted brothers James and William Lipscomb had brick “townhouses” built side by side, each nearly the mirror image of the other. James’ house was razed just after the turn of the 20th century for the expansion of James G. Penn’s mansion and carriage drive next door. William’s house survives at 854 Main Street. Built in 1885, it shows Italian and French Renaissance influence, with a Gothic window added for good measure. A rich bracketed cornice and colored slates on the octagonal roof complete its well-developed architectural character. Members of the Lipscomb and Gravely families – related by marriage – continued to reside here for many years, followed by Dr. and Mrs. M. Howell Watson.
855 Main Street, Danville, VA
- William L. Fernard House
The American Picturesque home at 855 Main Street is uniquely detailed. The circular pavilion porch, bracketed cornice, and elaborate window heads now draw the attention of the touring pedestrian. Once a medical office, and having faced the threat of demolition several times since it was built in 1878, the home of William L. Fernald, local IRS collector, had a checkered past after the early death of its first owner in 1885. Fernald’s widow, Julia Alberta Gravely, came from Henry County where her father headed the successful tobacco manufacturing firm of B.F. Gravely & Sons. Suffering extreme financial difficulties, she mortgaged the home to her brother and returned to Henry County until her death in 1939. In 1904, Montgomery Adkins Allen and his wife, Martha Isabelle Thompson, purchased the home for $4,000. Mr. Allen moved here from Reidsville, N.C., where he served as mayor while working as a tobacco buyer for American Tobacco Company and later Export Tobacco Company.
1026 Main Street, Danville, VA
- Swain House
George Swain was a dealer in loose leaf tobacco. The house was owned later by William B. Hill and, for a time, was converted to four apartments.
154 Sutherlin Avenue, Danville, VA
- S.J. Slaughter House
This property was conveyed to tobacconist Stonewall Jackson Slaughter in 1913 at the sale price of $2,250 included the cost of the present trim dwelling, then under construction. Actually a raised “cottage,” the house is typical of the simpler, less ornate structures built during the Edwardian era. Its clean lines are embellished with features such as the bevelled, leaded-glass front door, and a Neoclassical front porch. The Neoclassical influence is evident inside as well in the divider between the front hall and sitting room. The floor plan, with its center hail running the length of the structure, is functional and eminently livable.
233 West Main Street, Danville, VA
- Hughes / Davis House